Japanese Cooking 101: List of fresh ingredients for Lessons 3 and 4
I hope that you have enjoyed the first two lessons plus bonus lessons of Lessons 1 and 2 of Japanese Cooking 101. I'm going to have to take a few days break because I'm feeling a bit under the weather, but Lesson 3 will come next week and possibly Lesson 4 also. So this is the shopping list for both lessons. As usual, this is in addition to the basic pantry ingredients required for the course.
Lesson 3 list
For lesson 3 we will be tackling nimono (煮物) or stewed dishes.
- Boiling type potatoes (new potatoes are great)
- Medium onions
- Dried shiitake mushrooms. If you can't get dried, fresh will be ok. If you can't get shiitake mushrooms button mushrooms are ok (but will taste very different).
- Snap peas, mange-tout or other bright green vegetable (for garnish)
Lesson 4 list
We will be doing _sunomono__ (酢の物）or a mixed vinegar flavored side dish.
- Broccoli (Tip: we'll be using the stalks, so you can use the florets as the green garnish for the nimono)
- Wakame seaweed (optional), dried or fresh (in salt)
And that's it! I'll see you back here next week for the next lesson.
(If you are just joining us, please start at the Japanese Cooking 101 course announcement and work your way through the linked pages at the bottom.)Filed under: ingredients japanesecooking101